Friday, September 27, 2013

The Transformation during Grad School

I've seen this today and decided to share. It is a cut and paste from Professor H.T. Kung homepage, from Harvard University. It seems reasonable...

Growth of a star (the transformation process that some students go through to become a mature researcher)--which stage are you in?
  • Knowing everything stage
    • Student: "I have designed a supercomputer even before graduate school."
    • Faculty: speechless
  • Totally beaten up stage
    • Student: speechless
    • Faculty: smiling at the student's progress so communication is possible now.
  • Confidence buildup stage
    • Student: "I am not stupid after all." (student thinks)
    • Faculty: "Uh oh, she is ready to argue." (faculty think)
  • Calling the shot stage
    • Faculty: "I am going to design an n-processor supercomputer."
    • Student: "You are crazy, because ..."
I'm pretty sure were I am now. Just hoping that I will reach the later stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment